Fine lines and wrinkles are an inevitable part of the aging process, but that doesn’t mean we can’t take steps to minimize their appearance and improve the overall health and appearance of our skin. There are a number of ways to bolster your skin’s appearance, primarily related to increasing and maintaining good hydration, and these range from skincare practices to lifestyle changes to professional treatments and more. In this blog post, we will explore ways to improve fine lines and wrinkles using a holistic approach that takes into account your whole body’s needs.
The first step in improving fine lines and wrinkles is to establish a skincare routine that is focused on holistic, natural ingredients that are gentle on the skin and promote overall skin health. This means avoiding harsh chemicals, synthetic fragrances, and other irritants that can damage the skin and accelerate the aging process. Sometimes, products that are marketed as “good for your skin” actually contain damaging ingredients or encourage habits that increase stress and sensitivity in your skin.
Here are some key elements of a holistic skincare routine that can help improve fine lines and wrinkles:
1. Cleansing: Gentle cleansing is essential to remove dirt, oil, and makeup that can clog pores and lead to breakouts. Look for a natural, non-drying cleanser that contains ingredients like aloe vera, chamomile, or rosewater. We recommend the Osmosis Cleanse Gentle Cleanser, which has excellent ingredients, promotes a healthy skin pH, and is available for purchase at our studio in Newport Beach!
2. Moisturizing: Keeping the skin hydrated is essential to maintain its elasticity and prevent the formation of fine lines and wrinkles. Look for a natural moisturizer that contains ingredients like hyaluronic acid, vitamin C, or jojoba oil. For deeper hydration, consider layering a more occlusive moisturizer (i.e., a thicker one) over a moisturizing serum to lock in hydrating ingredients. *Pro tip: although many people don’t know it, hyaluronic acid can’t actually hydrate the skin deeply without moisture, so we recommend applying it after washing your face to use that residual moisture.
3. Sun Protection: Sun damage is one of the leading causes of premature aging, so it’s essential to protect your skin from the sun’s harmful rays. Use a natural, mineral-based sunscreen with an SPF of at least 30, and wear protective clothing when possible. Some sunscreens in Asia and other parts of the world are coming out with advanced sun filters, with South Korea leading the charge in suncare research. Consider Osmosis Beauty Protect sunscreen for a smooth, hydrating cream with no white cast!
4. Exfoliating: Regular exfoliation can help remove dead skin cells and promote cell turnover, which can improve the appearance of fine lines and wrinkles. Look for a gentle exfoliant that contains natural ingredients like oatmeal or sugar. Most DIY exfoliants are too rough on facial skin, and contain organic-shaped pellets (like apricot pit meal) that can tear delicate skin. We recommend only using DIY or store-bought exfoliants on your body, legs, arms, etc.
In addition to a holistic skincare routine, there are several lifestyle changes that can help improve fine lines and wrinkles. These include:
1. Diet: Eating a healthy, balanced diet that is rich in antioxidants, vitamins, and minerals can help promote skin health and reduce the appearance of fine lines and wrinkles. Focus on eating plenty of fresh fruits and vegetables, lean proteins, and healthy fats. The high vitamin C content in broccoli makes it a great wrinkle-busting ingredient, and foods like sweet potatoes and yams can help pack extra moisture into your meal.
2. Hydration: Drinking plenty of water is essential to keep the skin hydrated and prevent the formation of fine lines and wrinkles. Contrary to popular belief, there isn’t a set recommendation for how much water the human body needs. That amount fluctuates due to individual exercise regimens, hydrating foods, daily habits, environmental temperature and humidity, and more. Our rule of thumb is to make sure your water bottle stays about halfway empty throughout the day — drink so that half your water is gone, and then refill it and repeat. Drinking when you feel thirsty is important, and while sugary drinks or coffee might tempt your palate, only water can give you the skincare benefits you desire.
3. Exercise: Regular exercise can help improve circulation and promote overall skin health. Aim for at least 30 minutes of moderate exercise per day, and make sure to stay hydrated during and after that time! Sunscreen, water, and exercise are the holy trinity of this list — keep them together!
4. Stress Reduction: Stress can accelerate the aging process and contribute to the formation of fine lines and wrinkles. If you feel like you experience undue stress, whether due to work, school, childcare, parenting, professional efforts, healthcare needs, or any other factor, working to decrease your stress levels can drastically improve your skin. Try to incorporate stress-reducing activities like meditation, yoga, or deep breathing into your daily routine. If it seems intimidating, start out with a five-minute guided breathing meditation on YouTube, and gradually increase the amount of time you spend meditating daily. Lots of local yoga instructors offer first-time discounts, so search up your area to get started!
Finally, there are several professional treatments that can help improve the appearance of fine lines and wrinkles. These treatments, all offered at our Newport Beach studio, include:
1. Facials: Regular facials can help improve skin texture and tone, reduce the appearance of fine lines and wrinkles, and promote overall skin health. When you come in for a holistic facial, your esthetician makes sure to do a full consult and assess your skin’s needs before coming up with a treatment plan. Some anti-wrinkle facials can include exfoliation, hydration, and nourishing ingredients like antioxidants or peptides, but the beauty of a facial comes in its customization to whatever you may need.
2. Microcurrent: The TAMA microcurrent machine helps your treatment provider to rejuvenate the skin by tightening and building the muscles underneath sagging facial skin. Unlike Botox, where the muscles actually lose function over time (also known as muscle atrophy), the TAMA Blue Onyx treatment flexes muscles to reduce the appearance of wrinkles, then builds the muscle to tighten and maintain that youthful appearance.
3. Celluma Light Therapy: Celluma is a light therapy device for treating wrinkles, acne, and even some chronic pain conditions. It provides the energy that helps compromised cells regenerate naturally. This treatment increases the production of collagen and elastin, increases blood circulation, and decreases inflammation. It’s a great addition to every facial for well-rounded results!
4. Sculpting Facial Massage: Face-sculpting massage works to lift, firm, and tighten your face without the use of any invasive treatments. There are forty-three muscles in a human face — whenever we feel stress or tension, some of those facial muscles get strained, over time becoming permanently tense and stiff. As we age, this becomes more apparent, showing up in the form of wrinkles, deep lines, and facial divets. Facial massage improves lymphatic drainage which will detoxify the skin, reduce inflammation and improve facial contours. It will also help to sculpt the face by stimulating the muscles, ligaments, and underlying tissues, which activates collagen production. It is a great alternative for those who are not interested in going under the knife.
Interested in combating your facial lines and wrinkles? Give us a call, text, or email to schedule your holistic skincare consultation today!